Saturday, June 24, 2017

Moving, Disability and Right-Sizing my Kobudo Practice




The pod with our belongings moves out today. We will be following in a week. It will have to be a quick trip, 4 of 4 ½ days at most, covering several thousand miles over the trip.

 

That and accepting the disabilities I am dealing with makes decisions necessary.

 

1. Most of the Kobudo I have studied and practice is beyond my capabilities.
2. I will no longer be instructing others.

3, There are limits to the amount of things I can drag along with me.

4. The majority of my personal kobudo gear had been bequeathed to Mike Cassidy to use with the program as he sees fit.  Other students have been given other of my weapons. Hardest to put down were my bo’s and sai. Sai being where my studies began with Charles Murray.

5. I have retained a few things.

          a. My knife collection goes with me. This also includes my hand made Tecchu/Teko group. A single Tecchu/Teko will travel with me as well as several small pocket knives.

          b. My Tai Chi straight sword goes with me. Perhaps the most difficult practice, with the many turns involved, but still I try.
 

 

          c. The Mangi Sai Charles brought back from Okinawa is with me.

          d. The patterned rattan staff Cindy Robinson brought me from Seattle.

          e. A single wooden kama, created by a friend.
 

 

The Sai to hang on the wall, my strength precludes any sai practice. The other weapons to use as I am able.

 

My studies continue as will whatever practice I can do. An example is I can see how to modify the kama practice I created to a single kama and stick form.  Something new.  Various knife drills and several kata done with tecchu/teko.
 


 


 

No comments: