Monday, May 30, 2016

Tournament for a Master

Back in 1976 I attended a tournament held for Shimabuku Tatsuo at the Sunnyside Garden in NYC.

While I have no photos from that day I have vivid memories of the day.

I remember Sensei Lewis competing with Sunsu kata. Karl Hovey competing with a very dynamic version of Chinto kata, as well as many, many others in different divisions.

One brown belt competitor made quite an impression. He was called Quick Draw Mc Graw. Don't know if that was his real name, but he fought throwing repeated knife hand strikes toward his opponent. I never saw anyone else fight that way.

I met Don Nagle as the judge of my Blue Belt division.
I had a discussion with Steve Armstrong.
Lewis Sensei and our group had lunch with Long Sensei.

Also in attendance as guest of honor was Shimabuku Kichero. He also demonstrated Sunsu kata and Chantan Yara No Sai.


This is my certificate of attendance and the tournament rules for Kumite.



No comments: