Friday, June 7, 2013

The Carotid Choke



It is important to understand what occurs when a cartoid choke is applied to the neck.

Carotid Sinus:  the following extract from my Clinically Oriented Anatomy textbook, 3rd Edition 1992, by Keith L Moore. ISBN 068306133X. Publisher: Williams & Wilkins. Page 799 on, ....

Carotid Sinus: This is a small dilation of the proximal part of the internal carotid artery; it may involve the common carotid. A blood pressure regulating area (editor's emphasis), the carotid sinus is innervated principally by the glossopharyngeal nerve (CN IX) through a branch called the carotid sinus nerve..... the carotid sinus reacts to changes in arterial blood pressure (editor's emphasis) and effects appropriate modifications reflexly...... 


the carotid sinus responds by slowing the heart, owing to the parasympathetic outflow from the brain through the vagus nerve. Pressure on the carotid sinus may cause syncope (fainting) (editor's emphasis), and if the person happens to have a supersensitive carotid sinus, it may cause cessation of the heart beat (temporary or permanent

The commonly held theory that the blood flow is stopped to the brain is wrong. The decondary arteries provide enough blood to keep it awake. You are stopping the heart and causing the blood to stop accordingly.

2 comments:

Victor Smith said...

Just a point, this is more than a discussion to me, it is something I have lived with for decades.

In 1979, a brand new black belt at my first tournament, I had gone into the locker room at the end to change. A Senior Instructor trying to explain something to his black belts asked me” Victor, would you assist me?” The next thing I knew I was coming to on the floor, I heard the explanation that I received a neck choke.

All that I knew was I was out, before I realized what was happening.

Nothing in my training suggested such could occur. Of course I was just a Sho-Dan. Many things discussed today were never openly discussed then.

At that time I was on my own, I was teaching kids through the Boys Club, and of course there was a lot I was not showing either. So I started training with friends I had met at local tournaments, in many arts. (Shotokan, tjimande, aikido, various Chinese arts, Washin ryu, Shorin Ryu, Bando, American Shotokan, Goju Ryu, many, many things.

Along the way I picked up a few things.

On my way I worked out about 5 different ways to do that choke. Saw a few things similar but no one was openly sharing such knowledge.

About 4 years later I participated in a multi-group Summer Camp. As instructors went I was relatively low on the totem pole. When it was time for my contribution, I started sharing how to choke. I thought they might find the topic interesting too.

So when I began I was surprised as the Senior Karate instructor threw a fit at me, asking “Victor, what the hell do you think you are showing them.” Making me stop. Outside of it working I had no idea what I was doing.

As the years passed it became a thing, the kyusho stuff became a rage. Even Dr. Yang talked about a blood choke in his books.

And I accepted everyone must know what they are talking about.

Eventually I realized everyone was copying the first person talking about this stuff, and passing it along.

Then my friend, Karate-ka, Doctor, Surgeon, made it very clear that only an idiot would listen to me on medical matters.

In time I am here because he could take me apart and then put me back together, And he knew what he was talking about.

At times he would visit and over Scotch, look at my various books. He had an irrating habit of taking some of them and throwing them in the trash, making comments if the book author cannot show the liver on the right side of the body, how can you trust anything he says.

He was right, it made an impression.

So I came to accept his opinions as having gravitas with them. And at times when he showed me various things, or explained why various things were so, I paid attention.

Then in time I found other doctors backing up his opinions.

We do not need to know why to use them. On the other hand incorrect understanding of what is happening often leads to foolishness. As far as it goes, the deep research needed in often not available.

Most Doctors have far more important things to do. Just as Okinawan’s publish an Encyclopedia about Karate and Kobudo for their own use, but are in no rush to have it translated for our use.

My first purpose for sharing this is for my Senior Students. I am happy to share with everyone, but it is always your responsibility to verify things for yourself.

Victor Smith said...

When one make the point that this is not a choke, they are of course correct. On the other hand that is what it was first called to me, and even though the blood flow to the brain is not the actor. I choose to keep the term choke for the technique. So be it.