Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A person's unbalance is the same as a weight

.



The Isshinryu code(1) of karate states “ a person’s unbalance in the same as a weight”. This if often understood as a way to unbalance your opponent and use their weight to make them fall, or at the same time a suggestion to protect your own balance. Each of which can be true.



The meaning to this codex has become more personal with the onset of my neurological condition which among other effects has greatly affected my balance in all activities. For example while walking remains very important to me I often use a cane for safety in this activity.



My study and practice of Yang Tai Chi Chaun, lasting for over 35 years, is almost at a gone. 

This is very hard to deal with for I love the practice of Tai Chi so.  

The necessity of turning that this entails have brought my practice almost to a standstill. I stagger losing my stances during my practice, perhaps I’ll have to change to seated practice to continue. 

The loss of balance makes it almost impossible to direct the mind to perform the form, the act of not falling becomes a real weight on the mind. While often discussed as moving mediation by those who don’t practice the art, you actually have to keep your mind involved, most involved, while engaging in the practice of the form.



I find in Karate, less engagement of balance as in Tai Chi, or perhaps less turning movement would be more accurate. In turn, I retain more of my karate ability, much more when it comes to applying my art.But with my constant reminder that one’s balance is often gone,it does not take much to confuse my mind and become the weight, too.



“London Bridge is falling down”, and if I am not careful so am I too, down for the count.





(1.) Acknowledged this also came from the Okinawan Bubishi



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Victor, balance, such an important thing that we take for granted. How you remind us to be thankful for such things. An inspiration as always. Jim