Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Descent into Darkness

The last year has been a challenge.

First type 2 diabetes. Increased workouts, losing 60 pounds trying to get in control of myself.

My weight dropped to pre 1977 levels, less than I’ve ever been in my studies.

Then Colon Cancer, surgery, then radiation and chemotherapy. Increasing my walking, to about 10 miles a week and continuing workouts to get as healthy as possible.

At Christmas I then found it hard to talk, depressing for an old speech major. Then a treatable but uncurable Neuromusclar disorder - myasthenia gravis. The first treatment did not work so on to stage two. The first treatment did not have a effect so now an infusion of steroids.

Then a bout last month with Achilles Tendonitis and weeks not being able to do more than hobble.

Then the effects of the infusion have left me weaker, without balance or much else.

I was able to return to some training this weekend but it’s mostly “drunk” practice now .

I did return to waking yesterday. ½ mile then to 2 miles today. The fight continues.

I now know what handicapped is. No one can understand me.

Treatment continues. A MRI and then a PET scan confirm I have no cancer now. The chemo therapy is preventative.

The treatment of more steroid infusion is later this month. One looks forward to the side effects.

I continue to work, they’re very supportive. I also have skills they still need so I can pay the bills.

Life moves on in ways we don’t expect.

My family is fine.

My practice continues, Mike Cassidy is doing a super job with the youth and I’m there to help

My research continues with new projects though if takes longer to type them.

Take a bunch of lemons and you get to make lemonade.

2 comments:

Dan Djurdjevic said...

Keep fighting the good fight Victor. You are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Yes, keep up the good fight Victor.

mario