Thursday, July 7, 2011

From Agena in 1972

My instructor, Charles Murray, was a new Sho-Dan in Isshinryu when he was stationed on Okinawa in 1972 and was able to train at the Shimabuku Tatsuo Dojo in Agena. At that time most of the students were Okinawan and the Marines were being trained on base.

With his permission I'm sharing several photographs of the dojo for Isshinryu interest. Based on the colours I bet they were painted by the Marines.


This is a list of the Isshinryu Upper and Lower Body Combinations.



This is a list of the Isshinryu Kata

3 comments:

John D said...

I studied under Charles when we were stationed at Shaw AFB in the late 80's. Is there anyway that you could pass along my contact information? I would really like to get back in touch.

John Doherty

Victor Smith said...

Hi John,

Please send me your email address to my isshim2@comcast.net address and I'll be pleased to foreward it to Charles. Victor

Victor Smith said...

As this is difficult to read, I offer my interpretation of the charts shown.

Punch and Block

1. RF forward RP (punch)
2. RF forward RH (uppercut)
3. LF forward RH (punch)
4. LF forward RH (uppercut)
5. RF back LH Low Block RP
6. RF back LH Side Block RP
7. RF back LH Open Side Block RP Open forward
8. RF back LH Open Side Block RH (uppercut)
9. RF back LH Head Block RP
10. RF back LH Bridge of Nose RP
11. LF forward LH Leg Block 5 punches
12. LF forward LH Side Block 5 punches
13. LF forward LH Karate Strike RH karate Strike
14. LF forward LH Karate Strike RH Karate Strike
15. Break Bear Hug from the Rear


Kick Exercises


1. Forward Kick
2. Forward Jump Kick
3. Crossover Kick
4. Side Kick Edge of Foot
5. Side Kick Ball of Foot
6. Squat Kick


Kata

1. I really cannot read the sign Seisan
2. Seiunchin
3. Nihanchi
4. Wansu
5. Sanchin
6. Chinto
7. Kusanku
8. Suensu

Bo & Saya Katas


1. Tokumine No Kin
2. Urasoe
3. Shue Yoshi No Kun
4. Chantan Yada No Saya
5. Kusanku Saya




Note the Marines were training in an Isshinryu Dojo on their own base.
I assume these signs were left behind
My assumption is that these signs were painted by USMC students because the colors were used by the USMC.