Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chinto & Aikido 6

Continuing with my research into the ability to overlay Chinto Kata technique with those of Aikido, I'm going to reference the most basic of Aikido Locks.This one is a simple one, in fact the most common reference in Aikido texts is that this is immobilization (lock) number one (Ikkyu).

As always this terminology can be confusing. You are striking and/ or locking and or controlling or projecting the opponent down. Most important in my mind is the use of the turns throughout this technique as the tool to redirect and control the opponent.

The technique is found in Chinto as :

The Essence of Okinawan Karate - Nagamine Shoshin

Page 223 technique 31 RFF Cat Stance Rt Searching Hand
Technique 32 Left Inner Hammerfist (forearm strike)
Page 224 technique 33 Turn 180 degrees to the left

The Dynamics of Isshinryu Karate - Long and Wheeler

Page 82 - 83 - pictures 24, 25 and 26

Where you step 90 degrees to the right, parry a strike, deliver a hammerfist (or forearm strike) and step away 180 degrees (clockwise) and pull down.

From a simple karate perspective, this is a strike and a takedown. From an aikido orientation, you can use the turning movement to deflect and redirect the attackers force, and finish with a stepping away arm bar application to down and lock the opponent.

As always there are innumerable possible variations here.

When I was originally shown this turning movement (and actually you turn 90 degrees to the right for the first technique, and complete the movement by turning another 180 degrees to the rear) I simply brought the right foot over for the initial technique and then just drew that foot back to the finish position.

My work with Tai Chi has shown me the value of first drawing the right foot in alongside the left foot before each turn, allowing me to drive the technique from the turning of my entire body (centering on the hips).

So when I step out with my right foot and right open hand parry, I'm not using my arm to redirect an incoming strike but my body. And then when I step back by drawing my right alongside my left foot, I'm allowing the opponents forward force to flow alongside me, making my stepping away from my center more powerful as I can control them with the focused energy of the centerline against their triceps.

If you refer to the following Aikido texts, you'll see this principal more readily.

Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere - Westbrook and Ratti
Pages 167 and 173 - Ikkyo (Immobolization 1)

Aikido - Kisshomaru Usheiba
Page59 - Shomen-Uchi Ude Osae (Ura)

Total Aikido - The Master Course - Gozo Shioda
Page 86 & 87 Shomen-Uchi Ikkajo Osae Ni
This has a inset on redirecting the flow of the attacking energy which I feel ties into the case I was making with the hips.

Budo - Morihei Usheiba
Page 42 - Shomen
Page 49 Yokomen
Page 104 Ikkyo-osae (ura)

The Principles of Aikido - Mitsugi Saotome
Page 46-47 Shomenuchi ikkyo tenkan

The Hidden Roots of Aikido - Aiki Jujutsu Daitoryu - Shiro Omiya
Page 47-48-49 Ikka jo

I trust if you can look at any of these texts, you can find something approximating how I see the technique of Chinto can be utilized.

No comments: