Monday, October 25, 2010

John Kerker


This past Saturday I attended a clinic with John Kerker at Clarence Whitley's dojo in Chicopee Mass. John is a senior student of the late Sherman Harrill, and today heads the dojo Harrill Sensei began in Carson, Iowa.

I've been attending this clinic the past five years and enjoy the insight shared from a great Isshinryu tradition. John shares his training in the application of Isshinryu kata and with decades of work on the makiwara the impact he delivers in his strikes has to be felt to be believed.


Words don't do these clinics justice so I'm sharing a brief video clip of John explaining one application series. There is much more involved than just the movements shown, for one thing John delineates between the application skill study and the way these movements would be used to eliminate an attack, but I am pleased to show something of his technique.

File this under, you should have been there!













 

2 comments:

Narda said...

'You should have been there.'

I'm dissappointed that this slipped by me. Again. I'd asked another if it was open to other stylists. After not hearing back, it slipped my mind until today. :(

Unknown said...

Ouch!! I had the pleasure and privilate of being John's Uke a couple of weeks ago at a seminar in MN. He has great knowledge and very hard hands/feet.