Friday, July 30, 2010

Requirements of a Master





I was recently thinking further on what requirements make a Master of Karate. Then it occurred to me who better to state them than Mas Oyama?

Mas Oyama once stated “Well, an old Budo-Ka once said that 1000 days of Karate training makes a beginner, 10,000 days makes a master.”

I’ve just entered my 37th year training and how would I stack up compared to Oyama Sensei’s comments.

I’m a permanent full time part time martial artist. Family, work and other considerations have always come first in my own practice, especially teaching for free, the best I can make out I’ve only trained 7,600 or so days in those years. If I had been able to train 5 days a week I still would be shy only having completed 9360 days or so.

As near as I can make out I made my 1,000 days in 1980 (during my sho-dan years). That was when I became a beginner. At my current pace I’m sure I won’t make 10,000 days. Just a reality not an indictment.

Of course I’ve been thinking about my art 365 days a year in that time. That gives me 13,140 days in my own mind, but what the heck I’m aging, losing it and am proud to have made it to beginner.


No comments: