Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ice and Snow in 2009

Last Friday afternoon it was about 15 degrees f and I was clearing some snow off the edges of my driveway. The sun was out but it didn't help the temperature.

When I finished I started my Yang Long Fist Tai Chi Chaun 108 practice. Such time, freezing temperatuers, such place, on top of ice and snow, make for great tai chi workout, even if you're somewhat restricted by gloves, heavy overcoat and winter boots.

I've been doing it this way for 20 years in the winter.

When I practice it's of utmost importance to keep your mind on your technique. Tai Chi is not moving meditation, it's very focused training in a slow flowing speed (unless you're working it at faster speed). It did bring back many memories when I finished about friends, and of course training.

As an Isshinryu instructor I find tai chi a perfect complement to my training and study.

I do not mix tai chi with karate for my students. Those who have an interest have to seek me out to train separately Tai Chi Chaun.

No comments: